Myles Arbeeny can simply be considered an Alpine Shop classic. Having been on the floor, management, and a certified Paddle instructor, he has filled many roles for the company. Most recently he was chosen to manage our newest store, which opened in O’Fallon, Ill. He continues to teach and encourage people about the outdoors, truly sending our vision east of the Mississippi River! Here’s a little more on the cool guy we like to call “Mylarsky”!
(1) Nickname – If you go by one / prefer one / wish you had one
Mylo or Mylarsky
(2) Describe what you do at Alpine Shop. (Or at least what you like to tell the people you meet at cocktail parties.)
I can honestly say, without exaggerating, that I do it all! I manage the Alpine Shop in O’Fallon, Ill., which means that I have become a guru in all the outdoor sports we specialize in. I would be happy to act as your Sherpa through the store and not only have you pick out your gear; but teach you why it’s the right gear for each particular adventure.
(3) Identify where you are from. Provide some background on a favorite thing to do or a place to visit in your hometown.
Born in Las Vegas, grew up in St Louis, but really grew up in Alaska. Best places around St Louis are Jackson Falls, Ill., the Eleven Point River, Elephant Rocks State Park, and the Meramec River. Nothing beats the Chilkoot trail in Alaska though.
(4) What are some of the current outdoor sports/activites you enjoy? What got you started (or how did you get started) doing outdoor activities?
Started enjoying the outdoors in the Boy Scouts. Now I love it all: hiking, backpacking, cycling etc. My favorites truly are paddling and climbing.
(5) Where is your favorite place to “Get Outside Yourself?” Describe why.
The Alpine Shop. More adrenaline is used running that shop than rafting the Tayia in Alaska
(6) What is an outdoor adventure you want to go on some day? Describe why.
Top of the bucket list is rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. It’s the ultimate rafting expedition in the states.
(7) Name and describe your favorite outdoor gear, product or brand. (If possible, provide link to said products on Alpine Shop’s website.)
Chaco Z2 Unaweep, all Arc’teryx (the Fision AR in particular) and Werner paddles. All for the same reason: the care and effort that went into every part of the design gives you a better fit and more comfortable feel so you can keep going further.
(8) What’s your favorite thing about Alpine Shop? (The people you work with. The customers.)
The awesome gear that I can’t help but geek out over and all the long friendships I’ve gained with customers and coworkers
(9) Describe why outdoor activity is so important to you.
The outdoors are the only way I can deeply relax and refocus at the end of the workday.
(10) Kids, married, professional hot dog eating champion, etc? What else should people know about you?
I’ve got a crazy border collie named Bennett after the first lake I ever paddled outside the scouts: Lake Bennett in the Yukon Territory .